Do you know what you do when you accept cookies?
Cookies appear in the form of a notice at the bottom of a web page (which includes them) and serve to store very condensed data in the browser about the use we make of the network. In some pages are elementary for the proper functioning of it.
What happens is that most of the time we go to the network with a query and looking for something, so we do not want interruptions and simply accept them. Often, it is done automatically and we accept them without realizing it in order to see the entire web page.
TYPES OF COOKIES ACCORDING TO THE PURPOSE
1. Techniques: they serve to control the traffic, the beginnings of session, etc.
2. Analysis: analyzes how the user behaves on the website.
3. Personalization: it gathers all the characteristics of the user, such as the language, the browser used or the geographical area.
4. Behavioural advertising: cookies are especially useful to adapt the ads to the needs of each user with respect to previous searches he has done.
5. Advertising: if the publisher has added banners to sell advertising, cookies are used to manage them.
TYPES OF COOKIES ACCORDING TO THE PROPERTY
1. Own: are those that are generated within the page where you navigate.
2. Third party: installed by a web page different from the one displayed, usually advertisers. According to a study of the European Union on data protection, which analyzed almost 500 web pages, 70% of cookies are third-party and track all activity to offer advertising tailored to the interests of each user.
TYPES OF COOKIES ACCORDING TO WHAT THEY LAST
3. Temporary: or session. They only last as long as the session is open in the browser.
4. Permanent: or persistent. They are the most common and are always recorded in the navigation data.
ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES
– Improve the browsing experience: it saves us having to always fill in the forms with the same personal data. This is very useful, for example, for online purchases.
– Help to load the pages faster.
– They can be used to place useful publicity for each user profile thanks to the fact that it stores data about the users’ browsing guidelines.
– It may lead to the information collected being used by cybercriminals for illegal purposes.
If you do not want your activity to be registered in your device, you can delete it by manually deleting the navigation data in the tools of your browser. If you are on a mobile phone, you can delete it in Settings > Privacy > delete cookies. And you can always not accept them when you enter new websites.