How to make an effective Keyword Research
Now that you know what is SEO let’s focus on Keyword Research, the basis of any website positioning. And opting for the best keywords is one of the most effective techniques to get organic traffic, that is, users come naturally to the website without any economic investment. If we are not entirely clear through what words users can reach, and we did not define them previously, it will be quite complicated to get that traffic that is also more predisposed to conversion.
To carry out a Keyword Research in an orderly way, it is best that you collect in an excel sheet all the possible keywords that are coming up until you reach a definitive list.
WHAT TO DO
1. Ask yourself the key questions. You must create an approximate list of what the keywords of your web could be. The first thing you have to do is reflect on what it is that you sell, who it is aimed at, where and how you offer it and, finally, what sets you apart from the competition.
2. Study your competition. If you know the words that use your most direct competition you can use them too. SEMRush can lend you a hand when it comes to seeing which keywords to position and, above all, which ones report the most traffic to your competitors. Very useful.
3. Use tools to define your keywords. And when you have them, use others that show keywords related to them.
HOW TO VALUE KEYWORDS
– According to popularity. Know how many times a term is used in search engines. Just do a simple search of what your keywords might be.
– According to the competition. Study how many web pages indexed by search engines contain terms similar to the one you would use. Take a look at the pages that have them and think about how you could do better.
– According to the volume of searches. There are three categories of words depending on the number of times they are searched:
2. Middle Tail: those searches more specific than the previous ones, but still are not complete when your website appears to users effectively and quickly. Example: Cheap trips, Accessories for dogs, etc.
3. Long Tail: these searches are the most concrete and have less competition. They represent 70% of the total and they are very effective in conversion. Example: Cheap trips to Holland, Cheap Dog Accessories Store, etc.
So what would be the best option? While it may seem very appealing at first glance to millions of people in more general searches, this is not going to happen if it’s a new web and you’re still positioning it. The key would be not to use such generic words since the traffic from these has worse conversion than long tail. And define as much better, more specific words that can relate to the company.
They are very common tools in SEO and SEM that can help you identify the keywords to position your website:
– Google. Just by putting in the search bar a word related to your web you can take some ideas of those other terms that suggests to you to complete the search based on its popularity:
– Keyword Researcher Pro. It is even more complete than the Google Adwords tool. It helps you to search, generate and organize keywords, but also allows you to study the use of keywords in content and competition in depth. And you can also directly edit the articles of your blog, making it easier to study each SEO post.
– Keyword difficulty tool. It belongs to SEMRush and it can help you especially to value the competition of a keyword that you want to use. What you analyze is your level of difficulty, and if you have too much, then you can rule it out.
– Google trends. It allows to see graphically the volume of searches generated by different terms, compares by geographical areas, by time intervals, by categories, etc. With this, you can try which words are searched for more. For example, if you are looking for more dog accessories or animal accessories.
– Wordtracker. It suggests 1000 keywords for each term introduced and analyzes the level of competence of each of them with the Keyword Effectiveness Index (KEI), which compares the number of searches of the word with the results obtained in the search engine to know what terms are more effective.
– Advanced Web Ranking. It allows to manage the keywords, to translate them and to locate writing errors. By grouping them by themes you can organize them better. In addition, with this tool you can go a little further because it helps you locate and assign keywords from a URL. Above all, it gives you the opportunity to perform a full analysis to see how a keyword is optimized directly on your website.
– Web CEO Online. This tool works directly from your web and allows you to manage the keywords used and analyze their effectiveness. It offers the number of searches that generate in the search engines, new keywords from the defined ones. And with it, you can also see the trends of the last months.
– SEO Moz. It analyzes the content of a web page and extracts the terms that it considers more suitable to be used in a search engine. Applies a weight to the HTML elements and other factors on the page to value the terms.
– Keyword Planner.With it, you can search for all keywords related to those that you have previously defined.
– To find more long tails keywords, you can also use Keyword Shitter.
All these tools can also serve to know the consumer trends to base on it a new marketing or marketing strategy.